Friday, June 5, 2009

mission accomplished


Last weekend, VB, VG and I completed our first "mission" for the Toy Society -- we left a handknit Ballerina Teddy bear toy at a Welcome Center on I-75 near the Tennessee-Georgia border. It was all very covert and exciting, especially now that I see we are officially Drop #353, and as far as I know, the first in Georgia (either USA or the Republic of). I can't wait to see who found her. I hope they contact the site to let everyone know.

The teddy is knit from Bernat Cashmere (boo hoo, I think it's been discontinued). The pink was left over from a hat I knit for VG, and the brown was a ball of what my mom (not from Louisiana) likes to call lagniappe -- I bought a ball of pink from someone on eBay, but got the brown in a mailing mixup instead. The seller graciously let me keep the brown, and sent the pink too.

Ballerina Teddy is from the Mother Bear Project pattern, which you can buy from the website for $5. It's also included in a lovely little book called Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time. The book has information about many different organizations helping people around the world, and patterns for charity knitting projects helpful to the organization, such as prayer shawls, afghans, or warm sweaters for children. The Mother Bear Project gives donated handknit teddy bears to children in emerging countries whose lives have been affected by HIV/AIDS.

Thanks to Amy at badskirt, who linked me over to the Toy Society.

Have you ever done a charity craft project? What did you make and how was it used?

No comments: